The American AlbumDvorak's beloved "American" Quartet and Barber's String Quartet with its famous Molto adagio central movement share the program with "Two Sketches Based on Indian Themes" by Charles Griffes. A stunning look at the American spirit from 1893-1936. Comes in a brand new shrink-wrapped digipak case including booklet insert with original liner notes written by Marc Geelhoed.
SAMPLES / TRACK LISTING
- Dvorak 1 1. Dvorak: String Quartet No.12 in F Major, Op.96 "American" - Allegro ma non troppo 8:58
- Dvorak 2 2. Lento 6:19
- Dvorak 3 3. Molto vivace 3:43
- Dvorak 4 4. Vivace ma non troppo 5:26
- Griffes 1 5. Griffes: Two Sketches Based on Indian Themes - Lento e mesto 6:29
- Griffes 2 6. Allegro giocoso 3:32
- Barber 1 7. Barber: String Quartet in B Minor, Op.11 - Molto allegro e appassionato 7:45
- Barber 2 8. Molto adagio 7:18
- Barber 3 9. Molto allegro (come prima) - Presto 2:14
Last week saw the release by the Cypress String Quartet (violins Cecily Ward and Tom Stone, viola Ethan Filner, and cello Jennifer Kloetzel) of their latest CD on their own label. The recording is entitled The American Album; and it provides three markedly different perspectives on what we might call “American” music from three decidedly different eras of our country’s history. What makes those perspectives interesting, however, is that each of them has its own form of European connection. Read more...