Call & Response
What is Call & Response?
Over the last 16 years, the Cypress String Quartet has reached thousands of students and new chamber music fans through its annual presentations of Call & Response in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Following as many as two dozen or more educational outreach presentations before students of all levels and communities each year, the Cypress Quartet gives the World Premiere of the commissioned work in a public concert in San Francisco. The program contextualizes the new work, pairing it with the older masterpieces which inspired it, and demonstrating the composers’ work as a process of ongoing inspiration through the ages. Scholarship tickets permit participating students to attend the public performance free of charge.
Call & Response School Partners
2016 School Partners
updated list coming soon
2000-2015 School Partners
- San Francisco: Balboa High School, Community Music Center, French American International School, KIPP Bayview Academy, Lincoln High School, Lowell High School, Lycée Française La Perouse, Mission High School, Out-of-Site Afterschool Program, Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory, School of the Arts, Thurgood Marshall Academic High School, University High School, Washington High School
- North Bay: Mill Valley High School, Tamalpais High School, Novato Charter School, San Domenico School, Davidson Middle School, Enriching Lives Through Music (E.L.M.), Marin Academy, Miller Creek Middle School
- East Bay: Berkeley High School, Longfellow Middle School, Homestead High School, Monta Vista High School, Corpus Christi School, Edna Brewer idle School, Holy Names University Youth Orchestra, Montera Middle School, Roosevelt Middle School, Thornhill Elementary School, Westlake Middle School, Piedmont Middle School
- Peninsula: Terman Middle School, Menlo School, Nueva School, Independence High School, Leland High School, Lincoln High School, Lynbrook High School, Piedmont Hills High School, Aragon High School, Wilcox High School, Saratoga High School
Suggest a School
Know a program in need? Want to suggest a teacher and schoool who could be an enthusiastic new educational partner?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to share your ideas with us.
Call & Response Curriculum / Listening Guides
All listening guide downloads are for educational use only.
* = Password-protected. Email email@example.com to request access.
+ = downloadable .pdf
2015 Listening Guide - "Far Into the Night: Beethoven & Bartok" *
2014 Listening Guide - "The Long and the Short of It: Webern and Schubert" *
2013 Listening Guide - "Music & Poetry: Dvorak Cypresses and Schubert's Rosamunde Quartet" *
2012 Listening Guide - "The Masters: Tradition, Rebellion, and Innovation: Early Haydn and Late Beethoven" *
2011 Listening Guide - "Exotic Lands Inspired Music: Glazunov, Schulhoff, Bloch, and Debussy" +
2010 Listening Guide - "Lyrical Music Inspired by Literature: Mozart and Schubert" +
Call & Response Commissions
Over the past 16 years, the Cypress String Quartet has commissioned 16 new works as part of the Call & Response program.
|Commissioned||Year||The Call||The Response|
|Philippe Hersant, France||2015||Night Music; Beethoven Op.59 No.2 + Bartok Quartet No.4||String Quartet No.4 Der gestirnte Himmel "The Starry Sky"|
|George Tsontakis, NY||2014||Expansion & Compression; Webern and Schubert||String Quartet No.6|
|Jennifer Higdon, PA||2013||Music and Poetry; Dvorak Cypresses and Schubert||In the Shadow of Sirius (Soprano and String Quartet)|
|Philippe Hersant, France||2012||Masters:Tradition, Rebellion, Innovation; Haydn and Beethoven||String Quartet No.3|
|Jeffery Cotton, PA||2011||Exoticism; Glazunov, Schulhoff, Bloch, Debussy||Serenade (String Quartet No. 2)|
|Elena Ruehr, MA||2010||Literature; Mozart and Schubert||Bel Canto|
|Kevin Puts, NY||2009||Beethoven Op.135 and Mendelssohn Op.13||Puts Lento Assai|
|Kurt Rohde, CA||2008||Haydn 77/2 and Bartok 6||Gravities|
|Daniel Asia, AZ||2007||American Music; Dvorak American, Griffes Sketches||String Quartet No. 3, The Seer|
|George Tsontakis, NY||2006||Beethoven; Op.131 and Op.135||String Quartet No. 5|
|Elena Ruehr, MA||2005||Mozart and Beethoven||Ruehr 4-1 String Quartet No. 4|
|Jeffery Cotton, PA||2004||Variation Movements in Haydn and Mozart||Cotton 1-2 String Quartet No. 1|
|Jennifer Higdon, PA||2003||Debussy and Ravel||Higdon 1Impressions|
|Benjamin Lees, CA||2002||Unlikely Friendship; Britten 3rd and Shostakovich 11th||Lees 5-3 String Quartet No. 5|
|Anna Weesner, PA||2001||Beethoven Op.132 and Mendelssohn Op.13||Flux|
|Dan Coleman, AZ||2000||Mozart and Beethoven||Coleman 1-1 quartetto ricercare|
Information for Composers
The Cypress String Quartet continues to seek out talented composers living and working among us today for potential collaborations in future Call & Response programs or other commissioning opportunities.
If you would like to explore a commission with us please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.